Feb. 14: Recycle your relationship on V-Day

Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 12.54.04 PM


Valentine’s Day: a great day for many, a lonely day for some, and a last minute trip to buy chocolate and flowers for more than a handful of procrastinating men. Whether your V-Day gifts have been preemptively purchased in January or on the way home from work on Feb. 14, they’re part of over $13 billion in nationwide spending. Check out our infographic to see whose wallet is at mercy of Cupid’s arrow and how we can save it.

If you’re among those not contributing to the multi-billion dollar spending frenzy of Valentine’s Day, you might think that saving money is the only positive to take out of the day where most people are happy and in love while you’re—sorry for being harsh—all alone.

Saving a few bucks is nice, but what if there were a way to make your lonely Valentine’s Day a little sweeter? Let’s talk revenge. Recycling revenge.

Start by taking a look through your closet. Why the closet? Well, chances are there’s an item or two in there belonging to an ex, or if you’re a serial dater, you might have clothes from all your exes. These items aren’t doing you any good, and if your ex wanted them back he or she would’ve already come to get them, right?

Arm yourself with a large bag and get to work, bagging up anything and everything that belonged to a former sweetheart. Need musical inspiration? Try this playlist of the Top 10 Anti-Love Songs. It’s guaranteed to squash any second thoughts about bagging up that pair of Nikes your ex used to wear to work out.

Your ex’s bagged-up clothes are now ready to be recycled and reused. If you live in one of the 19 states where USAgain operates, use our find a recycling bin tool to locate a clothes and shoes recycling bin in your area. If not, use Earth911’s recycling locator to find a textile recycling option that works.

As you toss your ex’s stuff into the bin, savor the moment. You’re keeping valuable materials out of landfills and in use.

Go ahead and write this down: “Despite the fact that 70 percent of the world wears secondhand clothing, Americans only recycle 15 percent of our unwanted textiles.” This will function as your excuse if your ex ever comes looking for their stuff.

According to Statistic Brain, 61.8 percent of consumers celebrate Valentine’s Day. The other 38.2 percent? Let’s make Feb. 14 Recycle Your Relationship Day.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s